Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day to day

Adventure Week is wonderful, and I'm so glad for the kids' sake especially that it is this week.  They are SO happy every night.  Me?  Wiped out.  Today I was especially tired and trying to add in a drive with the kids to Long Beach to participate in some of his therapy.  I love being at Adventure Week, though, even tired, as there are many, many people there who love us well.

Seeing Steve walk today was supposed to have been a happy moment for me, as it was the first time I'd seen it with my own eyes.  But I found it very emotional.  Here was a thing I've always seen him do, and now it was something full of effort, exertion and pain.  I'm so incredibly thankful for his progress, but it certainly was a bit of a moment for me. But it is also a picture of how the Body of Christ works.  Steve's calves do not work at all right now, so his quads and knees, hips, arms, abs are all picking up the slack.  This is what we do for each other when a member of the body is in pain or grief or suffering.  It is what we are experiencing daily right now.

I'm allowing myself to feel what I need to feel when I feel it, to understand fatigue as temporal.  I am tired, but God is not.  How freeing it is to allow God to carry me when I feel this way!  Sad but not in despair, tired, but not defeated!

Steve's parents arrived safely last night, and were able to spend much of the day with him, meeting members of his team and watching his therapy.  It is so very good to have them here.

Tomorrow we have a meeting with his team bright and early, and I'm eager to hear their assessments.  All signs are still pointing to a homecoming next week with out-patient care to follow indefinitely.


Doing therapy as a family

Special toys from Tante and George!

Walking with a walker

*Some have not been able to view the videos on the blog.  If you'd like me to send them, please feel free to email me at jennyearle <at> mac.com, and I'd be glad to forward them to you.  

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, Steve. Lots of improvement over the 1st video.

    ReplyDelete