Saturday, July 5, 2014

Down time

These last few days with the in-laws have comprised good down-time.  Lots of pool time for the kids, puzzles, legos, etc.  I'm so thankful for all the meals STILL coming, because it's allowing Steve's parents to help us with things like house care and kiddo love.  It is blessing not just us, but them too.

But we did have a bit of a scare today.  Steve's foot slipped while one hand was up off the walker, and as he grabbed it to steady himself, he hit it with enough force to completely bend the leg off the walker.  He is uninjured, and he was trained how to get up in case of a fall.  But it shook everyone up pretty good.  I was in the other room taking a much-needed nap and missed it all, but it was still pretty sobering.  A new walker was delivered within 90 minutes, as it was under warranty.

And tonight I started to really lose my cool with the kids as well.  You know how it goes -- I just don't know how many more times I can answer the question, "How many more bites do I have to eat?" or how many times I have to tell a kid to get in the shower before someone loses an ear.  Innocuous things on their own, but it's like Chinese Water Torture.  Over time, your sanity erodes.  Truly, we're all fine in the scheme of things, but I think I share this mostly so that you know we are truly living in reality and not in some kind of Halo Land.  But it also highlights how God has intervened in the last several weeks.  In general, the kids have been fantastic, and my patience has certainly been beyond what is normal for me.  I absolutely believe that your prayers have been instrumental in this.

If you would, please pray especially for the number Steve's fall did on his mind today, that his confidence in the Lord no matter what would carry the day rather than a fall.  There will likely be other falls.  Our P.T. and O.T. have told us to expect them.  But we would ask for your prayers that he would sustain no additional injuries, and that his mind would be protected from the fear that resurfaces with a fall.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so vulnerable Jenny, I appreciate your updates....praying for Steve's recovery and for you. This is a whole new stage of your marriage and it will take great adjusting. Praying for your kids as they grieve and learn a new way of life too. God IS with you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust Roger will check the structural engineering on the new walker. ;-).

    ReplyDelete