Sunday, December 7, 2014

November

So this thing happened where November kinda got sucked up like a sock in a vacuum.  People ask how we are doing, and it seems so generic to say "BUSY!"  And yet, accurate!  I am kind of dying to spend more time blogging because so many of you have been kind enough to keep reading, keep asking about us, keep praying, and I want to honor you with a very honest, from our hearts view of our lives.  I have seen God continue to use our family for his purposes and I continue to marvel.  Be it unto us as you have said, Lord.  

For now, some photos to narrate our November!  

This is our Thanksgiving tree that I put up each year.  Really, I'm the only one that adds things to it for the most part, but I did notice that Lucy added some things unaided:  "Books" was her most recent entry.  (YAY!)  I try to represent the incredible gifts our family has experienced during the year, and it seems to fall so far short.  But in the end, we offer even the most profound words at such a great gulf to what praise God really deserves.  So thankful that the Holy Spirit translates perfectly. My hope is that these physical reminders will speak to my children's hearts in ways that my audible words can't.    

We did not escape the Fall rounds of sickness this year as we often have.  I made the mistake twice of believing I had a "free" week coming up in which to "catch up" and "get ahead."  Ha.  The first week I did that the kids took turns with a long-lasting stomach bug.  The second week I did that, we got the nasty cough/fever du jour.  Søren was actually incredibly cute though, when he lost his voice.  Poor baby was voice-less for 3 days.  I won't lie, it was kind of nice...

In between we had a mid-week day off for Veteran's Day.  Steve had 8-5 meetings that day, so we three tripped off to the beach for a perfect November beach day.  We dug and ran and found shells and I soaked up the peace that I always seem to find when I'm near the ocean.  (Even the idea of living too far away from the ocean almost terrifies me like claustrophobia.)  We even had a dolphin sighting!

You already know that we are goobers.  I'm not really sure what the gang sign is that Lucy's making here.

This was Lucy's field trip to the Shipley Nature Preserve, where they had some hands-on learning about the California Coastal Native Americans.  It was an exceptionally well done field trip -- best to date!  I'm so privileged to be a stay-at-home-mom right now so that I can do these things with my kids.

And then there was THIS.  Is there anything cuter than a Kindergartener in an oversized construction-paper pilgrim hat?  I submit that there is NOT.

We got in the car at 5am on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so we could beat the traffic on the 5 to San Jose.  (This meant that Steve had to get up at 3:30 to perform his necessary routines.) We had a fantastic time with the Earle family, every cousin, aunt and uncle present and accounted for.  I made lemon meringue pie and apple crisp and we ate like monarchs.  Mimi gave me a special treat and took me to the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts--just the way to speak to my heart!  However, even "Joe" (pictured below) could not work his magic with the sad, sad Niners, and we all walked away with red-and-gold daggers in our hearts.  I'm actually considering watching basketball this year to cleanse my palate.

So begins December and The Mad Rush of it all, which now includes our twice-weekly appointments at Rancho, plus blood-draws and appointments with the prosthetics clinic, driving clinic, and all The Stuff.  And yet, God has been gracious, allowing me small moments of quiet when I'm really, really able to take in, like a sharp gasp of wonderfully frigid air, that he sent Jesus.  That Jesus laid aside heaven and walked with dusty, grimy feet, was everyday at the heart of gossip and slander and eventually lay even that aside.  Because it's a joke to think that I can conjure up enough "good" to bridge the gap between me and a perfect, holy God.  I'm not sure I've ever felt so intimately, so fully, safely, and confidently loved by God in my life, and I'm profoundly grateful.  Veni, Jesu!

1 comment: